Widow Pension

What is the widow pension (AWW)?

The Widow and Orphan Insurance (Algemene Wezen- en Weduwenverzekering of AWW) is an insurance for all persons that covers the financial consequences of the passing away of a spouse who is an insured person. When a person becomes a widow/er, they are eligible to receive a widow pension according to the AWW law.

Who receives the widow pension?

The widow pension is for a person whose spouse passed away. The insurance covers all married couples up to pension age.
When a widow/er reaches the pension age, their pension expires and the widow/er can apply for an old-age pension. A person who receives a widow pension does not automatically receive an old-age pension when he reaches pension age. He/she must apply at SVb again to receive an old-age pension.
Also, if a widow/er remarries, the widow pension expires.

How much is the widow pension?

The age and amount for a widow pension are:

    • Up to 39 years: Afl. 551,- per month.
    • From 40 to 48 years of age: Afl. 739,- per month.

As of January 1, 2015, the age for widows and widower’s pensions changed. During the period of ten years, each year, the age goes up by half a year for those aged 58 years and older. See the table below:

From Age for Afl. 933,- monthly Age for Afl. 1.215,- monthly
1st January 2015 49 to 58,5 years old 58,5 to 60,5 years old
1st January 2016 49 to 59 years old 59 to 61 years old
1st January 2017 49 to 59,5 years old 59,5 to 61,5 years old
1st January 2018 49 to 60 years old 60 to 62 years old
1st January 2019 49 to 60,5 years old 60,5 to 62,5 years old
1st January 2020 49 to 61 years old 61 to 63 years old
1st January 2021 49 to 61,5 years old 61,5 to 63,5 years old
1st January 2022 49 to 62 years old 62 to 64 years old
1st January 2023 49 to 62,5 years old 62,5 to 64,5 years old
1st January 2024 49 to 63 years old 63 to 65 years old

If a widow/er has children attending school, the widow/er receives the sum of Afl. 1.215,- per month until the children reach the age of 25, or until the widow/er remarries, or until the children stop attending school.

How can a widow/er apply for a widow pension?

Applications for the widow pension are done through the SVb Pension Portal. Open https://pensioenen.svbaruba.org and follow the next steps:

  1. Register as a new user: follow the steps to create a new user account for the MiPensioen portal. Take into account that a valid email must be provided. The password must contain 6 characters or more, and must have at least:
    • one upper case (capital) letter (A-Z)
    • one lowercase letter (a-z)
    • one number (0-9)
    • one special character, for instance: (!@#$%*?)
  2. When the registration is done the system sends a confirmation email. Check your spam or junkmail folder for the confirmation mail.
  3. After confirming the account use the previously registered username and password to log in.
  4. In the main screen there is the option to fill out a new application. Follow these steps.

To finalize the application the following digital documents must be provided:

  • A valid passport, driver’s license or identification card of the applicant.
  • Death certificate.
  • An official document with the bank account number.

Instructional video for Widowers:

Aditional terms for those living abroad

In case the person applying for the widow pension does not live on Aruba or in the Netherlands, he/she is obliged to give a proof of life certificate (written evidence that the person is alive) at the time of application.
After the application is approved, the person living abroad must see that SVb receives proof of life every 3 to 6 months. SVb does not accept a copy of the proof of life certificate. Those who live abroad can hand in the proof of life certificate at:

  • In some at SVb in the former Netherlands Antilles.
  • In some cases, at the Embassy of the Netherlands.

The proof of life certificate is obtained at the government office, lawyer, or notary.

Personal Change

In case of a personal change of status, the widow or widower must notify SVb within two weeks in writing. This in the case of, but not limited to:

  • Personal data change (address, telephone number, bank account).
  • In case a widow/er goes to live outside of Aruba or reestablishes himself/herself on Aruba.
  • In case a widow/er gets married.
  • In case the children of a widow/er no longer attends school.

In case of a change in a personal situation, this may have consequences for the widow pension amount. The widow/er must keep SVb up to date with any changes of their personal situation. If SVb unrightfully pays pension, SVb has the right to claim back the unrightfully paid amount.

Termination of pension

The widow pension is terminated under the following circumstances:

  • When the widow/er remarries.
  • When the widow/er reaches pension age. The widow/er must apply to SVb to receive the old-age pension when the pension age is reached.

More information

For more information, contact the Pension Department through our contact form: https://www.svbaruba.org/pension/contact-pension/?lang=en.