Orphan’s Pension

What is the Orphan’s Pension (AWW)?

The Widow and Orphan Insurance Law ((Algemene Wezen- en Weduwenverzekering or AWW) is an insurance covering the financial consequences of the passing away of one or both parents who are insured. When a person becomes an orphan, they are eligible to receive a pension under the AWW law.

How much is the orphan’s pension?

  • An orphan up to 9 years Afl. 406,- per month if one parent passed away; Afl. 434,- per month if both parents passed away.
  • An orphan from 10 years to 14 years Afl. 434,- per month if one parent passed away; Afl. 476,- per month if both parents passed away.
  • An orphan from 15 years to 24 years Afl. 476,- per month if one parent passed away; Afl. 551,- per month if both parents passed away.

These amounts are valid from Januari 1st 2023 and can be changed by law.

Who is the orphan insurance for?

Orphan insurance is for:

  • All orphans up to 14 years old.
  • Any orphan between the ages of 15 and 25 who attend school. SVb must receive a statement of attendance/enrollment from the school each new school year from the orphan between 15 and 25 years old.
  • Any orphan who is (partially) disabled.

How can the orphan apply for an orphan’s pension?

To make the application the surviving parent, guardian, or orphan must apply via the SVb Pension portal. Open: https://pensioenen.svbaruba.org and follow these steps:

  1. Register as a new user: follow the process to create a new account on the MiPensioen portal. Please note that you need a valid email address. The password must be six characters or more, and one must have at least one character:
  • A capital letter (A-Z)
  • A lowercase letter (a-z)
  • A number (0-9)
  • A unique character, e.g. (! @#$%*?)
  1. When registration is complete, the system sends a confirmation email. Check your spam or junk folder if the mail did not arrive.
  2. After confirming the account, you can log in with your username and password.
  3. In the main menu, you will find the option to fill out a new request. Continue with the process here.

To complete the request, you need the following digital documentation:

  • A valid passport, driver’s license, or identity card of the orphan and the deceased parent(s). It is preferable to present the identity card in SVb to take note of the ID number. It is to speed up the census control process.
  • Death certificate(s).
  • An official document with the bank account number. The minor’s orphan must present the bank document of their surviving parent or guardian.
  • If the parents were married, the marriage book. If they were married abroad, you need the marriage certificate bearing the census stamp.
  • If the parents were not married, you need an acknowledgement of parentage and birth certificate.
  • If the parent(s) died outside of Aruba, the passport of the parent(s).
  • If the parent(s) went abroad for medical treatment, SVb needs the AZV letter.

Additional requirements for those living abroad

If the orphan is not living in Aruba or the Netherlands, they are required to provide SVb a certificate of proof of life (written evidence that the person is alive) at the time of application.

After the application has been approved, the person living abroad must ensure that SVb receives the proof of life certificate. Pensioners who live abroad can deliver the life certificate at:

  • In some cases at the SVb of the former Netherlands Antilles.
  • In some cases, at a Dutch embassy.

The proof of life certificate is obtained from a government office, a lawyer or a notary.

Personal Changes

In case of changes regarding the orphan’s personal situation, SVb must be notified within two weeks in writing. This among others in case of:

  • Change of personal information (address, telephone number, bank account).
  • If an orphan goes to live abroad or resettles in Aruba.
  • If an orphan stops attending school.

In case of change in the personal situation, the pension amount can be affected. An orphan, his father, or his family guardian must notify SVb of any change. If SVb wrongfully pays a pension, SVb has the right to reclaim this benefit.

Pension termination

The orphan’s pension is terminated under the following circumstances:

  • When the orphan reaches the age of 25.
  • When the orphan no longer attends school from age 15. SVb needs to receive a statement of attendance/enrollment from the school each new school year from the orphan at age 15 to continue receiving the orphan’s pension.

More information

For more information, contact the Pension Department through our form: https://www.svbaruba.org/pensioen/contact-pensioenen/.